Tag Archives: ronaldo

Ronaldo accept tax evasion charges and deal to pay back

Football superstar Cristiano Ronaldo has cut a deal with a court in Madrid over tax evasion charges, accepting an €18.8m (£16.6m) fine. Almost all media representatives met him while he was leaving the court amid his request denial from the judge to appear by video or to enter the building by car to avoid the fans exposure.

He hardly spent mins during the court prosThe deal, agreed in advance, includes a 23-month jail sentence. But in Spain, convicts do not usually do time for sentences under two years. The non-violent nature of Ronaldo’s offense means he is unlikely to spend any time at all in jail, serving it on probation instead.

The court appearance lasted mere minutes as Ronaldo accepted the deal offered by prosecutors. The current Juventus player, who played for the club in Italy the night before, arrived at the provincial court with his fiancee Georgina Rodriguez. Smiling and giving a thumbs-up, he was apparently unfazed by the media presence.

His lawyers had argued that given his fame, avoiding the main entrance was needed for the player’s security.

What are the allegations against Ronaldo?

Ronaldo, a five-time winner of Europe’s Ballon d’Or and often titled one of the world’s best players, was accused of avoiding paying tax in Spain between 2010 and 2014 when he was playing for Real Madrid and based in the Spanish capital.

Forbes lists the 33-year-old as the third-wealthiest athlete in the world, with estimated earnings of $108m (€95m) a year.

The case centers around lucrative image rights deals. Prosecutors say the proceeds were funneled through low-tax companies in foreign nations to avoid paying the required tax.

In court, as part of his deal, Ronaldo acknowledged four incidents amounting to €5.7m owed, according to Spanish-language news agency EFE.

In 2017, when the allegations first emerged, prosecutors said it was a “voluntary and conscious breach of his financial obligations in Spain”.

But Ronaldo’s lawyers said it is all down to a misunderstanding over what was and was not required under Spanish law, and deny any deliberate attempt to evade tax.

The deal, struck in June last year, had to be agreed with Spain’s tax authorities.

Xabi Alonso also facing trial

Ronaldo is not the only high-profile player to face the wrath of Spain’s tax system.

His former Real Madrid team-mate Xabi Alonso also appeared in court on Tuesday in connection with similar offenses amounting to about €2m.

Alonso was appearing before the court for the first time, facing a potential sentence of up to five years. Unlike Ronaldo, he has not yet struck any deal with authorities and has maintained his innocence.

Shortly after Alonso’s trial began, the court suspended proceedings to consider whether it was competent to hear the case, or if it should be referred to another criminal court, EFE reports.

The longer sentence prosecutors are seeking means that Alonso could, unlike Ronaldo, face jail time.

There are several other examples of footballers facing Spain’s courts in recent years:

The recent crackdown on high-profile footballers follows the removal of a tax exemption in 2010. Known as the “Beckham law”, it had allowed footballers to curb their taxes.

Ronaldo also faces another ongoing legal battle: the football superstar is accused of rape in Las Vegas in 2009, a charge which he denies

Future absurd for Real Madrid stars after UCL win 2018

Straight after a third successive Champions League title was secured, Cristiano Ronaldo was talking about Real Madrid in the past tense.

Real’s biggest star hinted he was unsure he’d stay with the club. Their best player in the Champions League final, Gareth Bale, looks more likely to be departing.

“In the next few days I’ll give the fans an answer because they are the ones who have always been by my side,” Ronaldo said. “It was very beautiful to be with Madrid.”

Keeping up the cryptic tone, he added: “The future of any player is not important. We made history.”

  • Calamity Karius apologies for errors

* Salah’s World Cup in doubt

After soaring to score a magnificent bicycle kick for Madrid’s second goal, Bale brought his fans back down to earth with his announcement that he’ll discuss his future with his agent in coming weeks.

The Welshman was a substitute in four of seven Champions League games this season, including his super-sub display in the final in Kiev.

Real coach Zinedine Zidane responded very differently to the two players’ comments.

On Ronaldo, Zidane was clear: “He will stay with us at Real Madrid,” and predicted the Portuguese star’s tone would soon change. “Perhaps in three or four days’ time he might say something else.”

On Bale, Zidane was circumspect.

“It’s a little bit of a complicated situation but everyone has their own interests, their own future to think about,” he said. “It’s true some players deserve more playing time on the pitch but this is a decision that has to be made by the manager.”

Where Bale could go is less clear.

Tottenham is widely reported to have a buy-back option as part of Bale’s 2013 transfer to Real, but seems highly unlikely to be able to afford his wage bill. Other destinations are unclear, though Manchester United has been reported in British media as a possible destination.

If he goes back to England this summer, Bale would leave Madrid with a curiously lopsided record of four Champions League titles yet only one in La Liga.

Ronaldo has the same number of Champions League wins and two Spanish titles but his performances have been era-defining in a way Bale’s are not.

Even more so than the Welsh player, Ronaldo’s future is likely to be determined by the very small number of clubs capable of affording his demands – supposing he actually wants to leave Madrid – and the 33-year-old has never indicated any desire to take a pay cut for the sake of pastures new.

Both would leave Madrid with a rich store of memories. Bale has his moments of genius like Saturday’s goal, but is increasingly a super-sub, a player who falls short of the crushingly consistent brilliance of Ronaldo.

Real Madrid’s to face setback after losing huge €400million in transfer plans

Realmadrid.jpg

La Liga giants are reportedly looking to bring in Paris Saint-Germain’s Neymar

Real Madrid’s summer transfer plans may have suffered a serious setback after a €400million Santiago Bernabeu naming rights deal has fallen through.La Liga giants were last week granted a license to redevelop their home with Los Blancos chiefs keen to build a state of the art retractable roof. However, Spanish publication El Economista has reported that the €400m first agreed with Cepsa (a Spanish oil and gas company) in 2014 has been pulled. Apparently, the offer has been withdrawn because Mubadala, the majority shareholders of Cepsa, think the stadium project has not met its time frame and has been downscaled.

 Alexis Sanchez’s stunning move to Manchester United has also slammed the door on any potential return to Old Trafford for the Portuguese goal machine.But The Sun understands Ronaldo, 32, would be open to moving to Stamford Bridge in the summer.Ronaldo has failed to fire on all cylinders this season, with Real Madrid trailing Barcelona by 16 points in La Liga.The five-time Ballon d’Or-winner is also annoyed that Real Madrid president Florentino Perez has told him cannot have a pay rise which he was promised after winning the 2017 Champions League.

Real Madrid's transfer plans suffer setback after losing huge €400million Santiago Bernabeu naming rights deal

Neymar’s proposed move to Real Madrid has been backed by Javier Tebas, with the Liga president eager to see the former Barcelona star back in Spain. Less than six months on from a record-breaking €222 million move from Camp Nou to Paris Saint-Germain, the Brazil international is already being linked with another big-money transfer, with Santiago Bernabeu considered to be his most likely destination.

Karim Benzema has rejected two offers to leave Real Madrid, Don Balon reports.Florentino Perez is eager to shake up his squad, with the entire forward line marked for replacement as the president looks to get the Spanish capital side back in form.Benzema’s refusal to move on, however, coupled with the difficulty of trying to sell Cristiano Ronaldo, has left the 70-year-old in a difficult position

Best Player of 2017 award goes to?

ronaldo

So Ronaldo wins the Fifa player of the year award for the fourth time in five years. That’s five awards apiece for him and Messi, the Argentinian’s golden period coming when he won four in a row between 2009 and 2012. Next year will sure be interesting. Will it? Only marginally. Olivier Giroud will be pleased with his night’s work. Makes a change from sitting on the bench in the Premier League at least. And peace even broke out among the women after the shortlist caused such controversy. Martens is a worthy winner, and Lloyd showed her enduring class … Thanks for joining. Bye

The latest rumors from Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal and all the top teams biggest transfer stories from ..

We takes a look at the biggest transfer stories from the Premier League, La Liga, Serie A and beyond on the last day of the UK transfer window

Barca move for Ozil

Barcelona has turned their attention to Arsenal midfielder Mesut Ozil having been rebuffed in their bid to sign Philippe Coutinho, according to COPE.

Liverpool has maintained throughout the transfer window that the Brazilian is not for sale despite multiple offers from Camp Nou.

And now Barca, with an extra day in which to sign players due to the late deadline in Spain, reportedly plans to launch a late move for Ozil, who Arsenal value at €60 million (£55m).

LEMAR & ALEXIS DEALS OFF

Arsenal has failed to agree on a deal to sign Thomas Lemar from Monaco and will therefore not sell Alexis Sanchez to Manchester City, according to the BBC .

The Gunners are said to have submitted a £92 million bid for the Frenchman, while the proposed deal taking Alexis to City was worth £60m.

But Arsenal have been unable to secure a replacement for their star man and so will insist he sees out the final year of his contract before leaving for free next summer

BARCA MAKE LAST COUTINHO BID

Barcelona have made a last-ditch attempt to sign Philippe Coutinho from Liverpool, according to Sport .

The Reds have so far resisted the Catalans’ attempts to prise away their star man, continually insisting that he will not be sold at any price.

But the Blaugrana have made a new bid that falls just short of €150 million when bonuses are included in the hope they can get a deal done before the Spanish transfer deadline on Friday.

SPURS MISS OUT ON GOMES

Tottenham’s move to sign Barcelona midfielder Andre Gomes has collapsed late on deadline day, according to football.london .

Spurs looked to have beaten West Ham to a loan deal for the midfielder, who has fallen out of favor after a difficult first season at Camp Nou.

But it is now being reported that Barca has pulled the plug on the transfer due to their failure to secure their own targets as the deadline approaches.

CHASE STILL ON FOR MAHREZ

Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham, and Barcelona remain contenders to sign Leicester City winger Riyad Mahrez, according to RMC Sport.

Reports had previously claimed that Barca is not interested in the Algerian and that no bids had been made for him late on deadline day.

But it has now been suggested that the Blaugrana could move for him should they admit defeat in their pursuit of Liverpool midfielder Philippe Coutinho and that the three Premier League clubs are still monitoring the situation.

BARKLEY TURNS DOWN CHELSEA

Everton midfielder Ross Barkley has turned down the chance to join Chelsea, according to the BBC .

The England international is also said to have attracted the interest of Tottenham after being made available for transfer having turned down a new deal at Goodison Park.

But Barkley has dealt another blow to the Blues, who also appear to have missed out on Fernando Llorente, by rejecting a switch to west London.

BARCA MADE LATE MBAPPE PUSH

Barcelona made a late attempt to hijack Paris Saint-Germain’s move to sign Monaco starlet Kylian Mbappe, according to Yahoo Sport.

PSG’s deal for the France prodigy was delayed by their attempts to structure it in such a way that ensures they do not break UEFA’s Financial Fair Play regulations.

Barca subsequently entered the race looking to deal a blow to the club that signed Neymar from them, but the Parisians formally concluded the signing on Thursday.

MANGALA THWARTS EVANS DEAL

Eliaquim Mangala is refusing to sign for Crystal Palace and thwarting Manchester City’s desire to sign Jonny Evans from West Brom, according to the Daily Mirror.

Palace reportedly had a bid accepted for the Frenchman only for him to turn down the chance to move to Selhurst Park.

The Eagles have subsequently turned their attention back to Liverpool’s Mamadou Sakho and without offloading Mangala, City will not be able to bring in Evans.

PEREZ & CAMPBELL SET FOR EXITS

Lucas Perez and Joel Campbell are set to leave Arsenal for clubs in La Liga, according to the daily Mirror.

Perez will return to Deportivo La Coruna while Campbell is in line to join Real Betis, it is claimed – and the closing of the window a day later in Spain gives the two clubs extra time to negotiate.

MAN UTD IN LATE WILLIAN MOVE

Manchester United are preparing another raid on Chelsea as they look to lure Willian to Old Trafford, according to the Sun.

The newspaper reports that Jose Mourinho is keen to bring the Brazil international to Man United, where he would follow in the footsteps of another former Blues star Nemanja Matic.

However, the Red Devils would be forced to spend in the region of £35 million for the 29-year-old’s services.

  • WEST BROM EYE £23M SPURS FLOP JANSSEN

West Bromwich Albion is prepared to part with £23 million in order to bring Vincent Janssen to the club from Tottenham, according to the Sun.

The Netherlands international, who joined Spurs from AZ for £17m last summer, has been living in the considerable shadow of Harry Kane in north London and has struggled to score goals.

However, the report suggests that West Brom could face competition from Stoke City for his signature.

CHELSEA LAUNCH €25M BID FOR ZAPPACOSTA

Chelsea have launched a €25 million bid for Torino defender Davide Zappacosta, according toLa Gazzetta dello Sport .

The Italy international is a full-back and has been on Antonio Conte’s radar for some time. Having missed out on Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, the Blues are determined to add reinforcements before the close of the summer window.

ARSENAL REJECT FOXES’ CHAMBERS BIDS

Arsenal has rejected not one, but two bids from Leicester City for Calum Chambers, according to a report by the BBC.

The report indicates that the Foxes made two bids in the region of £20 million for Chambers, but both were dismissed by the Gunners, who had previously set an asking price of £27m for the 22-year-old.

BAYERN REJECT CHELSEA’S RAFINHA BID

Chelsea has had an offer for Bayern Munich defender Rafinha rejected, according to Sky Sports.

The Blues lost out in the race for Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, who joined Liverpool, and Antonio Conte is desperate to add a right-sided player to provide competition for Victor Moses.

Rafinha, who turns 32 in September, is one of a number of targets being considered by Chelsea, with Bacary Sagna also said to be an option.

ARSENAL LOOK TO DRAXLER

Arsenal is interested in signing Julian Draxler from Paris Saint-Germain before Thursday’s transfer deadline, according to Sports Bild.

The Gunners now look set to lose Alexis Sanchez to Manchester City and have eyed Germany international Draxler as his replacement.

PSG are open to selling Draxler, having spent €222 million to land Neymar from Barcelona earlier in the month.

PSG TURN ATTENTION TO €40M SERI

Paris Saint-Germain has turned their attention towards Jean Seri, who could cost the Ligue 1 giants €40 million, according to L’Equipe.

The paper reports that Nice midfielder Seri, who had also been on the radar of Barcelona, is considered an alternative for PSG after the capital club were frustrated in their efforts to sign Monaco star Fabinho and Porto’s Danilo Pereira.

JUVE TO SEND CHELSEA TARGET ON LOAN

Juventus are ready to send highly rated Italy youth international Moise Kean on loan to Hellas Verona, according to Gianluca Di Marzio.

Kean, 17, has been on the radar of a number of Premier League clubs, including Chelsea and Arsenal, but looks set to remain in Serie A for the time being.

PALACE MAKE €20M MANGALA BID

Crystal Palace has made a bid of over €20 million for Manchester City defender Eliaquim Mangala, according to a report in L’Equipe .

Mangala has not been a first-choice under Pep Guardiola and spent last season on loan at Valencia. Palace is keen to strengthen their backline, but they face competition from clubs in Italy for the France international.

JUVE REJECT €160M DYBALA BID

Juventus have rejected a €160 million offer from Barcelona for Paulo Dybala, Corriere Dello Sport claims.

Article continues below

The Catalan club has been rebuffed in their attempts to sign Philippe Coutinho from Liverpool and have turned to the Juve star in the wake of Neymar’s €222m move to Paris Saint-Germain. However, the Serie A side are unwilling to sell the Argentina international and knocked back Barca’s approach on Wednesday